Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Maybe I'm Crazy

I've been thinking about running.  The thing is I used to run track in school (long jump, high jump, sprints & relays).  I wasn't great at it but I did okay, but most of all it was fun. 
However after the car accidents and putting on weight running was no longer fun.  My joints hurt and I have shin splints.  But running is still in my mind.
After losing the 30lbs I've found that I can run short distances.  Even something as easy as running across the yard to the barn used to leave me winded and now it's nothing.  And those little sprints have rekindled that "I love to run" feeling.
I know that to start really running again it will take time and I'm hoping that by taking it easy I won't have as much trouble with the shin splints.  I'm pretty certain that losing weight and getting in shape will help with the joint problems too.
Holy heck though, running has gotten technical!  All the discussion about stride & form, different clothing options, etc etc... kinda makes my head spin. 
My goal isn't to run a marathon or even a half, so maybe my goal isn't to be a "real runner".  I'd like to try a 5K though, and if that goes well maybe move up to a 10K.
I'm going to look at some C25K plans (Couch to 5 K) and also see if I might be able to get into a learn to run program at a local runner's store (which will really depend on if it fits my work schedule.)
I've got a treadmill plus miles of roads at home, plus beautiful trails along the river in the city if I'm brave enough to "go public".
Is there anything you used to do when you were younger/fitter that you'd like to try again?

3 comments:

Promise said...

I hate running. Hate.it. But, I got it into my head that I want to be *able* to run for (at least) 30 minutes at a time.

So, I've been doing the C25k program since January. I got stuck on week 4, because I couldn't successfully finish week 5 day 2, and while I wanted to push myself, I didn't want to kill myself. I also suffered from splints -- or something very similar, that only happened while actually running and did not bother me at all in the following days. This random shin pain went away after I purchased some *actual* running shoes (I had been using cross-trainers, and now I can't even jog for 2 minutes in them without serious discomfort)...and started to get into better shape.

I'm taking a couple of weeks off from running and plan to restart the program when I get back to it, and increase my speed as I go. I'm hoping by reconditioning my legs and rebuilding my wind that way, I can complete week 5 and beyond, perhaps at a slower speed.

It's a great program - good luck!

Laura said...

Great that you are feeling better and contemplating running again! There isn't anything specific I used to do when I was younger, I mostly just kick myself for stopping being so active in the first place. *sigh*

Have you had a look at this?
http://www.upandrunningonline.org/5k-course/

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

just wandering over, and see that you did raise a good question..I would love to do a lot of things I used to, but am feeling a bit weaker than I used to be. So for me, I am walking more, running less..tired of long recoveries from injuries doing things I shouldn't have been doing!

I like the idea of the couch 2...!

Jan