Sunday, June 5, 2016

Beauty

What is beauty?

Is it a size of clothing or a number on the scale?

Is it attention from the opposite sex?

Nope it is none of these things. Well at least it's not for me

Last weekend I completed my first ever half marathon, that is 21.1km. This gave me plenty of time to reflect on many things. Beauty is one that came up lots.

A little history for you. I have never been happy with my body and I was taught at a very young age that I was not beautiful. Well at least how I understood it.  I think I was 12 when I started my first diet. I have continued to yo-yo my entire adult life. In January when I started training for my half I hated the way I looked. Now thou look out I am hot.

I have lost a little weight and my body has definitely changed the way it looks. However that is not what makes me feel beautiful.

I can now look at myself in the mirror and love every inch of my body. Don't get me wrong I don't always love every inch and there are things that I would still like to change. My beauty is different and deep.

I can and did run, be it slowly 21.1 km and I can lift more then my body weight.

I could tell you how and why I see so much beauty in my body.  That would make this post very long and more then likely you would stop reading way before the end.

Next time you are standing in front of the mirror instead of think I wish this looked like that or if only I was so many pounds light. This about everything your body can do.

Not only the big things like bein able to lift a 40 pound saddle above your head onto the back of a horse or that you walk around the pasture for 20 minutes catching that hard to catch animal. Think of the small things. Standing up and hugging a loved one, being able to walk across the house to make a sandwich, pushing a grocery cart without using an O2 tank.  I was taking far too many things for granted.

Make a list of all the big and little things your body can do and remind yourself daily about it. There are lots out there who can't do the little things we take for granted. Find your inner beauty and you will be so surprised at how beautiful you become on the outside

No comments: