Monday, March 29, 2010

C-R-A-V-I-N-G-S

Y'all, I will be SO glad to see the back of March it's not even funny. They say March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb. There is no way I can possibly express how much that has applied not to the weather here-- but to emotions. March made one hell of an entrance with Dear Husband's illness, and the continuing emotional roller coaster has just wrung me out.

Our dietary changes have been good. Turns out, we were already on the right track, and doing well with our eating. A few small changes, and BAM--- we're doing darn good.

But.

Late at night, after the kids are tucked in bed.....

It.
Hits.

Cravings.

Bad. Cravings.

I can hear ghosts of foods past, calling my name, beckoning me to get in the truck and go get some... and tooooo EEEAAATTTTT THEEEMMMMMM....

Thus far I have resisted the urges to indulge. By the time morning rolls around, it's all good. I no longer want the potato chips, the dip, the nukable popcorn smothered in butter... I no longer have the urge to thinly slice taters and make home made tater chips.

I know-- I know-- some indulgence is good. Honestly though, I really think it is the result of stress/ emotional overload. If indulgence is in order, it does not seem overly healthy mentally to dive in and pork out on junk food, when it is being used purely for *comfort*. If I'm going to eat some chips, I want to be able to control the setting (and feelings,) and keep it a small amount, so that there is not the OVER-indulgence G-U-I-L-T hanging over my head the next morning.

So. How do YOU deal with those nasty little cravings that pop up at truly horrible times?

5 comments:

cdncowgirl said...

I try to have a little bit of something and to make it a good "something". Quality over quantity. A small piece or two of reeeeaaaaalllly good chocolate for instance. (sweets do tend to be what I crave)
If its the popcorn calling my name... well I have to decide if its worth the effort. I swore off microwave popcorn quite awhile ago and bought an air popper. Not really a lot of work but more than stuffing a bag in the micro.

Anonymous said...

Blogger ate my comment. I'll try again, later.

Laura said...

Glad to hear that DH is doing better! Hope things continue to improve....

Hah - cravings... I'm not so good at resisting them. I'm eating a couple of those chocolate easter eggs (the colourful ones in the foil...) as I'm typing this. ;-p

I'm getting better at resisting though... wanna know my strategy? I have to:

1)do something else, either moving around or keeping busy, because I am weak for junk food when I'm bored

2)have a big discussion with myself about my goals and how giving in to cravings won't help me achieve anything. (I had to do this last night and it actually worked)

3)give in to a craving and have a SMALL bit/piece/chunk/bowl of something really good.

My cravings are often because of boredom or other emotional issues - I'm working really, really hard at reprogramming my thinking.

Beth said...

Sometimes I get get through a craving with something like a caramel rice cake. If I am actually feeling really hungry at the time I will add peanut butter and a banana.

I love skinny cow ice cream sandwiches.

I am trying really hard to reprogram my thinking too, but it is a tough road.

GunDiva said...

I usually give in to the craving, but limit myself. It drives my daughter batty that I can have a pint of ice cream in the fridge for weeks. If I want some, I'll open it up, have two or three spoonfuls to fight the craving and put it away. That usually does the trick for me.