Thursday, October 22, 2009

Portion Distortion

Hi! Got a minute? Can I talk to you? Good! Pull up a chair and let's get started!

A couple weeks ago, while I was watching the Biggest Loser, I picked up on something. The contestants were having a challenge in which Curtis Stone was not only teaching them about portion size, but also about basic nutrition. This really shocked me! I mean, how could anyone not know the very bare basics of nutrition? Were they hiding under a rock I wonder?

It boggles the mind. After all, the USDA food pyramid was taught to me beginning in Elementary School and yearly after that until I completed the required health class in High School. Even afterward, I found it hard to not be bombarded with the information. All you had to do is pick up a magazine from the check out counter at the grocery store, pick up your local paper or turn on the tv to gather more information about healthy eating. Really, did these people not do so much as turn on Oprah? I mean, if I know the information, why don't they?

Anyways, I've been reading about how no one really wants to count calories here. I get it. I really do. I don't like to count them either. I find it a bit tedious and I've got better things to do with my time. So, today I want to introduce you to one way of eating that doesn't require any calorie counting or measuring or weighing. In fact, it's so simple it might be right up your alley. It's called The Bikini Diet. Now wait! It's not exactly what you think! Just hear me out, ok?

Ok! So, take a 9 inch plate. Got one? No? Well, imagine one for me, alright. (I don't have one either and I'm not going to run out to replace my dishes today, so let's just imagine). On that plate I'd like you to imagine laying out a teeny bikini. Let's see... We've got two cups and a bottom. Now, just what do you think I want you to do next? Yes! We're going to load our plate up for dinner! Yay!

Now, I want you to serve yourself some protein. Any kind, doesn't really matter. But, I only want you to serve yourself as much as will fit in one cup of the bikini top. No more, no less. Next, serve yourself up a carb. It should fit in the other bikini cup. No, we're not going to re-imagine this bikini as though it belonged to someone really "blessed" up top. Just an average bikini top here please! And lastly, the bottom. Go ahead and serve yourself up all the fruit and vegetables that will fit in the area where the bottom is. And there's your dinner! How easy-peasy is that? No measuring, no calorie counting. Just a real look at what and how we should be eating in a fun, creative way.

Really ladies, I have a ton of health, diet and nutrition info wandering around my head. I've got so much I want to share but I don't want to offend or bombard you all with it all at once.

I haven't made much progress this week myself. My shoulder is mostly healed, albeit still a bit tender. While that alone doesn't stop a workout, it does limit my workouts, so I just walked my son to and from the bus. I didn't do anything on top of that. I've also been fighting a stomach bug the last couple days and have been a slug on the couch. :(

6 comments:

cdncowgirl said...

I try to use this form of portion control, especially with my diabetic hubby. I haven't heard of it as "the bikini diet" before though. That's pretty catchy!

Mrs. Mom said...

Now thats not fair! Cause if we were using what would be *my* bikini top, well.....

OK- nuff of my joking around. This is a great way to "see" things! Thanks for putting that up!!

Laura said...

Sounds like a great way to approach portion size without being totally obsessed with counting calories or weighing food!

Thanks for sharing... Post whatever you find interesting - I've gone through a few different approaches of health/fitness/diets to try and find what will work for me. Hearing about different alternatives is always good!

Michelle said...

Very cute idea - I like it! Just playing devil's advocate for a second regarding calorie counting. I hate doing it too, but I think it's a really REALLY good idea to do a food journal even if it's just for a week or a few days, especially when you first start a weight loss program. Each time I do it, I'm always surprised at how imbalanced my diet is - I always consume more carbs than I THINK I am, and my caloric intake is often a bit low. This can actually be a bad thing, because it causes my metabolism to really slow down and hang on to that weight. Just something to consider...

Anonymous said...

Oh, I agree with you Michelle! Even just logging your calories of what you normally eat can give perspective. I have a hard time meeting my protein requirements and it's so easy for me to over do it with carbs. However, I don't really eat over my calorie range for my activity level. However, with that being said, I find that my biggest challenge is being active over and above my normal activity level in order to lose weight. Well that and balancing out my carb to protein ratios.

I feel better when I eat more protein and less carbs. I really should work on that. (Not talking low carb here, just a more balanced approach).

John and Regina Zdravich said...

Your "Bikini on a Plate" idea is great! It is all about portions....none of us will lose any weight without getting portions under control.....