Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The "Half of" Diet?

Just thought I'd put forward an idea that I've been toying with. What would happen if I were to eat half of everything that I ate now? What if I made not a single change in what I was eating or when, but instead only changed the quantity. Last year (when I was on a diet that worked on a per day calorie allotment) I discovered that really couldn't "afford" the calories in the average American meal even if I was eating"healthy" foods and skimping on things like sauces and cheese. I discovered that I was eating a lot of half or even quarter portions. We all know that North Americans have a problem with portion control...but how many of us have ever really tried only changing our portion size, not implementing that change as part of a greater diet program?



Some of the habits I learned while calorie counting have stuck... like not eating a whole portion of meat, instead I usually only have a few ounces. Eating one egg on one piece of toast instead of two and ordering the appy version of a meal and skipping the sides (potatoes, rice etc.). This past two weeks I've been too sick to really get "on track" but am hoping that once I am back on my feet I can work on portion control and exersice and not focus so much on cutting things or changing my diet. Can I really eat just half a chocolate bar? Half of a muffin? One cookie? We'll find out!

6 comments:

cdncowgirl said...

I haven't made any drastic changes yet, other than cutting down on how much I eat... pretty much like you're suggesting!
IMO it will work for at least a little while as you will be creating a calorie deficit compared to what your body was used to consuming.
The downside is that you may not be getting the best foods and would be lacking in nutritional value.
For me it works to start this way because I can only handle some change at a time. Baby steps!

Hope you're starting to feel better.

Michelle said...

I have gotten used to the same thing. When I go out for dinnner, I always bring home half (at least) of my meal. A recent Thai dinner out provided me with one dinner and 2 lunches. Often I will split a meal with friends. All in all, though, I've found that the big key for me is EXERCISE! Not just walking the dog, but really getting my heart rate up. That makes me drop the pounds like you wouldn't believe. Too bad it's so hard for me to keep up.....

Mrs. Mom said...

Yep, split the food up. I "graze", but am eating less at grazing time.

Hope you feel better soon!!!

Anonymous said...

I think one of the most important things to do while sick is to eat nutrient dense foods. All those vitamins and minerals are so important and can help you bounce back better from illness. It's also hard to make or keep dietary changes while you're ill. I'm sick too and I just want to eat whatever I can keep down right now. Unfortunately, that's simple carbs and not much else.

I do hope you get to feeling better soon!

Chelsi said...

Thanks gals! I am always concerned about nutrition in eating lost of fruit and veg, good carbs and not eating fast food so that is not really a concern for me... it is cutting foods out (like sweets) that is my big problem and watching portions and my overall calorie count for the day.

Chelsi said...

Thanks gals! I am always concerned about nutrition in eating lost of fruit and veg, good carbs and not eating fast food so that is not really a concern for me... it is cutting foods out (like sweets) that is my big problem and watching portions and my overall calorie count for the day.