Thursday, June 2, 2011

Things I've Learned

-or-

Diet Rage and The B*tch Unleashed!

In the last 5 weeks I've learned that I get grumpy if I don't have red meat once a week. I simply become a not-nice person come Week 2 (not that I've ever claimed to be nice). And downright homicidal come Week 3 sans red meat.

It is apparently just how I'm made. Some people do fine without red meat EVER. Some people are fine as Vegetarians. Me? Not so much. I used to be a Vegetarian until I was pregnant with Dude. He changed all that. After his birth, I still ate meat, but usually poultry and only on occasion.

Something has radically changed with me in the past 9 years, 10 months and 16 days. Must have red meat OR ELSE!

No, no, definitely not hormone related. I pay pretty close attention to that.

Anyways, diet rage is very real. Some people become very angry when they're on a diet. Sometimes, it's as simple as lacking something in their diet. Other times, it's the simple act of dieting alone.

Perhaps the problem is simply the word "diet". For me, I'm not dieting. I've made a lifestyle change and am Eating Clean. But, once in a while I get crazy ideas that I don't really want or need red meat in my diet. And if it goes on too long, the B*tch is unleashed and she makes the TOM Wench look like a pussy cat!

How about you? Do you or have you ever suffered from diet rage? Is there something you simply cannot do without as part of your everyday diet?

6 comments:

cdncowgirl said...

Caffeine... doesn't HAVE to be coffee, it can be tea (iced or hot) or a cola, but if I have no caffeine I get verra verra grumptastic.

Mrs. Mom said...

What makes me mean? No coffee in the AM. No coffee in AM means Mrs Mom is going to get out her bazooka and blow sh!t up. For reals.

Wait--- no, check that. Dear Husband says I dont NEED the bazooka for that. He says my lazer shooting eyeballs come into effect and I can melt you, skin you, OR blow you up just by looking at you and adjusting the intensity of my gaze.

Huh. Whadayaknowboutdat.

Mrs. Mom said...

Oh- and no red meat.

Mrs Mom = C-A-R-N-I-V-O-R-E

wilsonc said...

I can get along without red meat for awhile...at some point usually a week or two I know I'm needing some protein and no other kind of protein will do. That's usually when the hubby and I hit the steakhouse. After that I'm fine for another 2-3 weeks. I do need caffeine too. Mostly in the mornings. I'm pretty bitchy without it and I get a terrible headache later on if I don't find some.

Laura said...

I don't think I could survive without red meat - I lloooooovveee it. Seriously. I could probably eat it every day in some form. I think I have iron issues or something. I always feel good after eating it.

I would probably be pretty crazy if I cut protein way down in my diet...good thing I don't need to.

I'm one of those annoying nerds who doesn't need caffeine!

Have you googled primal/paleo eating? They are big meat fans - red meat isn't as bad as was once thought, apparently...

I'm working on cutting out sugar and wheat (need to do a post on that soon!) and for some reason I'm not craving it as much. I didn't think I could survive without some of my favourite treats - like tea with cream and loads of sugar...

Anonymous said...

Oh, we didn't really intentionally quit eating red meat, we just cut back.

And, everyone in this house knows I drink coffee for THEIR protection. It's not something I've given up or will.

What I was getting at is that some people become cranky and suffer from diet rage when they become vegetarian. BP did. Or when they give up pasta. Or bread. Or eggs for breakfast every day. Caffeine dependency really doesn't play the same sort of role. That's something completely different and not related to diet rage at all.

As for protein, I'm definitely not hurting in my diet. I eat a high protein, lower carb diet. Notice I didn't say NO CARB or Atkin's or any such nonsense. Just less carbs than before.