Friday, December 11, 2009

Checking in...

I’ve had a bit of a weird week. I think I have finally reached a point where food is losing some of its power over me. I went shopping for some new work clothes a couple of nights ago and had a hard time finding decent stuff that fit properly. If I didn’t have to wear nice clothes I would be able to find lots to wear. Luckily I don’t have to wear a suit or anything, but I do need to look presentable.

Spending a couple of hours trying on clothes really, really brought things to light for me. I’ve been this weight for a year or so, so it isn’t a big surprise, but I think I finally saw myself at my true size or something… Not sure how to explain it really. Normally at the mall, if I’ve had a bad day, I’ll eat some junk food and buy some stuff I don’t need to make up for my feelings. That didn’t happen the other day – I just had this weird sort of mental “peace” with the situation and vowed to change it. I found a couple sweaters that would work and headed home.

I also really need to get some weight off to help out with my medical problem. (Remember the blood clot situation? It is improving slowly…). I need to exercise regularly and to shed some pounds and I’m sure most of the problems will go away. Up until this summer, I’ve been able to carry around some extra weight without it really affecting me that much health-wise. That all changed this fall though!!

Anyway – since that realization in the mall the other day, I haven’t even felt as hungry as before. I find myself thinking twice about what and how much I am about to eat. My cold is finally on the way out, so I think I can start exercising without coughing up a lung or two.

So, here’s to progress, no matter how small!

*****************

On top of all of the other stuff mentioned above – guess what happened last night? Rusy colicked!! Poor guy. He is ok today so far (just got an update from my barn owner). The barn owner found him cast in the shelter outside when she got home and once he got himself unstuck, she realized something else was wrong. Luckily she is a vet and took all the right steps immediately. If I had been there, I probably would have just run around in little circles flapping my hands uselessly because I was panicking… ;-0 Somehow he has no leg injuries from being cast, so that is good.

I feel like a terrible owner because I was at home and couldn’t get to the barn right away because we only have one car and the hubby was still at work! By the time I got there, the vet was just finishing up with him. He had a small impaction and she was pretty sure it would clear out ok. I stayed for a couple of hours to watch him and walk him, but by 8pm I left feeling that he was through the worst of it. The barn owner checked on him twice in the night and emailed me this morning to say that he was much better.

Hopefully that is an isolated incident and he is ok from now on…

On a side note – his blanket is just covered in filth – mud, manure, sweat – I’ve never seen a blanket so dirty. I’m not sure how to even start cleaning it, because it is currently -7 (19F) outside and I can’t use the hose because it would freeze. (Most of the tack shops/dry cleaners that clean blankets won’t accept them when they are this dirty) I don’t really want it in my house that dirty either. I’m guessing I’m going to have to carry buckets of hot water outside to get it rinsed and then bring it in to soak in the tub or something. Anyone have any ideas?

8 comments:

Reb said...

Car wash :) Take your disgusting horse blankets to a self serve (is that what they are called?!) car wash, hang it over the back of your truck or car, spray the heck out of it, rinse/repeat as needed. It helps to take a friend so you can stretch it out between the two of you to twist and twist it to wring some of the water out. I'm betting your regular blanket washer would take it then to dry. I live in southern AZ, so even in the winter we can hang it in the barn and it will dry in a few days.
Reb

Laura said...

Car wash! Brilliant idea! I hadn't even thought of that... :-)

Promise said...

or sneak it into an unsupervised laundromat with large washers O:)

Mrs. Mom said...

LOL I was going to say ... "Freeze dry"... hang it over a fence for abit, let it get good and frozen, and then beat on it with a stiff broom. But the car wash idea sounds WAY better!! Hope Rusty stays healthy. Slip him some extra TLC from me please!!

On YOUR front-- you go girl!!! This is such a challenging time of year on so many levels, that ANY forward steps we make need to be shouted from the rooftops!! (OK so maybe not the rooftops, but celebrated somehow!!)

cdncowgirl said...

Glad to hear the Rustbuster is doing ok. Cessa had an impaction colic and it was so scary. Can't even imagine going through a 'more serious' colic.

Hmmm... maybe hang your blanket on a stall wall or something and bang it out really good with a broom (shovel?) to get the worst out before you launder it. Kinda like housewives of old beating their rugs. lol

On the you front, congrats on food losing some of its grip! I know what you mean about that awakening moment. I had it a few years ago. Kinda all of a sudden realized that I'm not outwardly who I feel I am. Started to do something about it then but injured myself (as always! lol) Have since given up doing the traditional "exercise regime" and am going it alone at MY pace.

Anonymous said...

WhooHoo! *Party!* Way to go Laura!

There is a difference between eating to live and living to eat and it sounds like you've made the break through!

I had that very same break through right around Thanksgiving. Now, that doesn't mean that I don't still love certain foods. But, they no longer hold the power over me that they used to.

You're on the right track! One baby step at a time. Remember, every race is won one step at a time!

John and Regina Zdravich said...

Glad to hear you had a mental breakthrough with the food....you know clothes are very unforgiving. That is how I judge my weight most of the time -- i cannot bear to step on the scale, but the blue jeans never lie!!!
So sorry to hear about your horse colicking -- I hope he is better now. Love the suggestions about cleaning the blanket at the car wash!

Kristen Eleni Shellenbarger said...

Car wash is great!! Also rinse off in your groom rack would work. Drying would be the issue being so cold there. Don't have an idea for that...sorry!