Monday, December 14, 2009

Have I Told You?

Boy oh boy! There is stuff to update ya'll on!

So, let's start with the big news! Have I told ya'll that I've decided to run a 5k this coming April at Portland's Run for the Roses? Well, I have! And ya know what? We CAN Run While Chunky! We may not be very fast, but we can run! I'm proof!

Now, this is how I'm going to do it:

Couch to 5k Program


It's a 9 week training program that takes you from the couch to running 5k. You start with just 20 minutes of intervals, running for 60 seconds, walking for 90 seconds eventually building up to running a full 3.1 miles.

In the upcoming weeks, I'll blog more about Running While Chunky.


Starting Thursday night, I just felt really run down and exhausted. I don't know if I ever told you guys, but I have fibromyalgia. However, I try very hard to not let it stop me and rarely let it slow me down. Now, I'm not sure if it was because of the fibro or if I've been shrugging the most recent bug Dude brought home from school, but I was flat out E-X-H-A-U-S-T-E-D. I didn't do my c25k training on Friday as planned. Nor on Saturday. Nor Sunday. In fact, I spent all weekend doing nothing but the bare minimum of hauling water (until it warmed up Saturday afternoon, yay!) and feeding the critters.

Not only was I exhausted, but I lacked motivation to do anything much beyond surfing craigslist. I told the husband I'd make banana bread, which I still haven't done. Even today, I've been having a tough time getting my rear off the couch to do anything. So, this afternoon, I gave myself a pep talk. After I fed for the evening, I'd get on the treadmill and put in my 20 minutes of c25k, because how else am I supposed to be ready for the race in April?

So, I got on the treadmill. And it was kicking my @ss. But, at about the 60% done mark, I noticed myself in the reflection of the window. Yeah, I saw a fat girl running with all the wrong parts jiggling. BUT, more importantly, I saw the skinny girl inside me running to break out of the body she's trapped in. I envisioned how I'd look once I met my target weight. And suddenly, I was motivated! My slump and doldrums were gone!

Now that you know about my goals and my motivation, let's move on to other topics, shall we?

My sports bra is the kind with rear hooks. When I started down this path earlier this fall, I had to hook it on the very last row of hooks and it was tight. Now, I am hooking it on the first set of hooks and it's still a bit looser than it should be (for running anyways). So, I need to buy a smaller size!

Well, I should wrap this up before I write a novella. But, before I go,can I make a request? Will you guys help hold me accountable for my c25k training? I mean, it's only 3 days a week and that seems easy for me to get off track. Also, I might need that extra boot to the backside when I lack motivation.

I knew I could count on you guys! Thanks!

2 comments:

cdncowgirl said...

Way to go... now that's a goal!! You go for it!

Laura said...

That is an awesome goal! I can only give you a virtual kick in the backside if needed, seeing as how I'm pretty much on the other side of the country... I have a bit of a hunch that it will be you motivating us - you really seem to have a good handle on things.

Good new about the sports bra being too big - having one the right size is pretty crucial!